HRH Prince Mohammed bin Naif bin Abdulaziz Al SaudBirth and Education
Crown Prince, First Deputy Prime Minister and the Minister of Interior
His Royal Highness Prince Mohammed bin Naif bin Abdulaziz was born in Jeddah on 30th August 1959 and is the second son of the late Prince Naif bin Abdulaziz – May God have mercy upon him.
He received his early education in Riyadh and thereafter traveled to the USA graduating with a Bachelor degree in Political Science in 1981. He then worked in the private sector in Saudi Arabia until 1999.
His Royal Highness has also received advanced military based training and education connected to security affairs and counter-terrorism both in Saudi Arabia and abroad.
In May 13, 1999, His Royal Highness was appointed by Royal Decree as the Deputy of the Interior Minister for Security Affairs at the Excellent Degree in Saudi Arabia.
A Royal Decree was also issued granting His Royal Highness membership in the Supreme Council for Media in the Kingdom In May 1999.
- In June 2004 a Royal Decree was issued extending Prince Mohammad’s services for 4 years.
- In September 2008, another Royal Decree was also issued renewing his services.
- On 27 August 2009, His Royal Highness was targeted by a suicide bomber who allegedly wanted to turn himself in. Luckily, His Royal Highness escaped unhurt.
- He also escaped many failed assassination attempts, inter alia, at his office at the Ministry in Riyadh and during his visit to Yemen.
- In November 2012, he was appointed Minister of Interior.
- In January 2015, he was appointed deputy crown prince and the Minister of Interior, and also the chairman of the new Council for Political and Security Affairs.
- In April 2015, he was appointed the Crown Prince, First Deputy Prime Minister and the Minister of Interior.
Memberships and Activities
Prince Mohammed bin Naif bin Abdulaziz has been a member of the following:
- The National Anti-Narcotics Committee since its re-formation in accordance with Cabinet decision No. 160 dated 6/7/1427AH.
- The Permanent Committee of the Economic Council in accordance with a Royal Order issued on 28/11/1430AH.
- High Commission of Prince Naif bin Abdulaziz Al Saud Award for Prophet's Sunnah and Contemporary Islamic Studies.
National and Global Recognition
The Custodian of the Two Holy Mosques King Abdullah bin Abdulaziz Al Saud decorated Prince Mohammed bin Naif bin Abdulaziz with the King Abdulaziz Sash of the first class in recognition of his efforts in the field of his works, on 17/8/1430 AH.
Practical tasks and official posts
Prince Mohammed bin Naif participated in a joint meeting between the Late Crown Prince Sultan bin Abdulaziz Al Saud, Deputy Premier and Minister of Defense and Aviation and Inspector General, and the United Arab Emirates (UAE) delegation headed by Sheikh Mohammed bin Zayed Al Nahyan, Crown Prince of Abu Dhabi and Deputy Supreme Commander of the UAE Armed Forces on 2/7/2010.
He has paid dozens of visits to many countries on security missions and led successful negotiations with international officials on sensitive security issues in the fields of terrorism and narcotics.
He participated in a historic visit of the Saudi delegation to Iran headed by the late Prince Naif bin Abdulaziz on April 17, 2001, during which a Saudi-Iranian security agreement was signed for combating organized crime, international terrorism, arms smuggling and money laundering.
He supported the establishment of the first center of its kind in the world to advise and monitor extremists and individuals returning from conflict zones, and this Saudi experience has been followed in more than 20 countries.
Prince Mohammed bin Naif has led the biggest process for the development of the structures and functions of security sectors at the Interior Ministry according to the latest technical and scientific studies. The developments included the following security sectors:
- General Directorate of Investigation
- Special Security Forces
- General Directorate of Public Security
- General Directorate of Civil Defense
- General Directorate of Passports
- General Directorate of King Fahed Security College
- General Directorate of Prisons
- National Information Center
- General Directorate of Intellectual Security
- General Directorate for Combating Drugs
- General Directorate of Border Guard
He has led one of the most successful operations in security and intellectual confrontation of extremist groups which has lasted many years.
He is leading with his team today extensive operations against drug gangs and he has supervised the largest seizures of drugs that have taken place in the Arab region.
Committees and Commissions of State institutions
Prince Mohammad has been an active member in a number of committees and councils:
- Chairman of regional governors
- Chairman of the higher Hajj Committee
- Chairman of the High Commission for Industrial Security
- Board Chairman of the Naif Arab University for Security Sciences
- Chairman of the Supreme Committee for the relief of the Palestinian people.
- Chairman of the High Committee for the relief of the Palestinian people.
- Chairman of the Supreme Council for Civil Defence
- Member of the Supreme Council for Islamic Affairs.
- Supervisor of Investigation and Prosecution
Scientific Interests and Hobbies
- The Prince is an avid reader of security, strategic and political sciences subjects.
- He is a skilled hunter, equestrian, and swimmer.
- He is a patriot and and leader in the fight against terrorism and fundamentalism. His determination and vigilance has produced impressive results for the Kingdom’s security and stability. At the same time, his care and support of the families of the Kingdom’s martyrs demonstrates his compassion and commitment.
His Image in the International Media
Prince Mohammed bin Naif has been described by MSNBC Network as "The General of War on Terrorism".
U. S. and European officials have described him as the commander of one of the most effective operations to combat terrorism in the world.
Global newspapers and television networks have talked about his character and roles in combating terrorism, including CNN, Fox News, Sky News, NHK Japan, Time Magazine, Der Spiegel Newspaper(Germany), New York Times, the Guardian, the Daily Telegraph, Le-Figaro Newspaper (France), and Reuters (International News Agency).